We are very serious about placing the dogs in our care into loving forever homes. Adopting a pit bull or pit bull mix carries a great responsibility! These dogs are routinely massacred by the mainstream media and as a result, you will face questions and criticisms like you have never faced before. It’s tough at times to be a pit bull owner! On the other hand, these dogs are seriously one of the best to have in your home! They are goofy, they are sweet, they are cuddly, they are hysterical, they are wiggly. There truly is no love like a pit bull’s love.
Please read over our adoption requirements carefully before applying. While some of our requirements seem strict, we really have to be careful about placement. We rescue them with the intent that they will never, ever again face the situation in which we had to rescue them from. It’s a duty and honor to carry this responsibility.
Adoption process is as follows:
- Fill out and fully complete an online application
- Phone screening and home visit
- Reference check
- Follow up after adoption
- Lifetime resource
- Be at least 25 (we may make exceptions for stellar applicants!).
- Submit a fully completed application. Applications that are not complete will not be considered.
- Provide solid references (vet preferred).
- Consent to a home visit before and after adoption.
- We prefer fenced in yards and will NOT accept invisible fencing.
- If you have children, we prefer that they be 5 and over if you are considering adopting a pit bull or pit bull mix.
- If you rent, you must be willing to provide authorization from your landlord that you are approved.
- If you own your own home, please be prepared to show proof that your home owner’s insurance allows for pit bulls and pit bull mixes.
- Be knowledgable on the breed and all breed challenges. For instance, dog parks are a big no no! Do your research!
- Enroll your new addition (no matter what age) into an obedience class. This is non-negotiable and must be done within one month of adoption per our contract.
- If you have current animals, they MUST be spayed/neutered. If there is a valid medical reason why they are not, we must see proof of that.
Dogs available through Pitty Love Rescue are vaccinated, heartworm tested (if old enough)/treated, fecal tested, dewormed, microchipped, temperament tested, cared for in foster homes, attend training, are well socialized, and spay/neutered. The adoption donation is $250.00. Adoption donation fees may sometimes be higher or lower depending on a specific dog and/or medical treatments provided.
There will be no negotiating the adoption donation. Adoption donations are also non-refundable.
We also require that potential adopters check to make sure that their home owners insurance policies cover pit bull dogs. And renters need to get landlord permission for a pit bull to reside at their property. Please make sure this is done and do not wait until the last minute! You may be sorely disappointed!
Here are some companies that do NOT place breed restrictions on your home owner’s insurance policy:
- State Farm
- Farmers Insurance Group
- United Services Automobile Association
- Nationwide (only insures pit bulls with CGC certification)
- Farm Family Insurance Company
While we prefer local adoptions, we will adopt to our surrounding areas such as Syracuse or Buffalo. Applications from inside the state of NY that are not local will be considered on a case by case basis. We do not currently adopt out of state.
We are meticulous about the responsible placement of our rescued bullies. It is our firm belief that responsible placement is one excellent way to dispel myths and restore our breed to their former position of respect. It requires great commitment and responsibility to own a bully breed and it should be a serious, well thought out decision. Please take time to research the breed at a few of the links we’ve provided in our useful information on pit bulls section. There is some solid, reputable information to be found in these links. Do your research!
We reserve the right to deny any application or end the adoption process at any time for any reason. We also reserve the right to remove a dog from a home if it is determined our adoption contract has been breached.
Think you have what it takes? Fill out an application!